Tuesday, August 4, 2015

If I Go Raw, Can I Still Eat Sushi?


     I ate 3 bags of raw onion rings and I'm not ashamed.  First, they were very small bags, small expensive bags of raw onion rings, but they were absolutely amazing and I have to admit that I didn't think anything that wasn't deep-fried could be either crispy or good.  I had thought that the raw food movement went out in 2005 but I was wrong.  It seems that someone brought it back, and it's coming back with a vengeance—and just found a whole line of really tasty raw snack foods at Whole Foods.  Raw chocolate dip (actually good), raw cheese (not really), raw cookies (more like granola bars), raw kale chips (now you're talking!), raw sweet potato chips (ooh-la-la), raw onion rings—you can see where I'm going with this, right?  Salty, crunchy, and oily doesn't necessarily have to be bad for you.  In fact, it can be quite good.  Follow me for a moment...


     When we cook food we are not only cooking out bacteria but also cooking the enzymes, which make food the energy supplier our body needs.  Now, before you start to correct me in your mind—yes, there are foods, which your body cannot handle unless they are cooked, but they are rare.  The overwhelming abundance of fruits and vegetables out there are better for you raw and if you can make them taste like junk food—where's the downside?


     Now I know that a raw food diet isn’t for everyone, and for me it’s definitely not a lifestyle or even an all the time thing. However, there is some pretty heavy evidence showing the health benefits of raw food. Of course the idea of a diet mostly consisting of fruits, vegetables, and nuts being good for you isn’t exactly rocket science. Plus it’s hard not to lose weight on a raw diet, since many raw foods are low in calories, fat, and sodium, and high in fiber.

     OK, for those of you who are still rolling your eyes at asking, and me  “what about meat, eggs, beans, the protein…where is the protein”? Well if you are thinking about going raw, then yes you have to make sure you're getting enough protein, iron, calcium, and other vitamins and minerals like B12. Because most people who eat raw foods exclude animal products, you may need to take vitamin supplements to make up for any gaps in your diet.(WebMD) Some good raw sources for protein include sprouts, seed, nuts, dark leafy greens, and algae.(Youngandraw)Also since cooking does kills bacteria; when eating raw, you will need to be especially mindful of taking proper precautions to prevent foodborne illness.


     Though I have been enjoying exploring samplings from the raw food world, there are some foods that admittedly provoke me with their trickery. They appear like they may be raw at first, sadly further investigation shatters that dream. The number one thing preventing me from going raw is the sushi; yup sushi isn’t a real raw food because the rice is cooked! Cheese (no real surprise here, but I just cant give it up), hummus because the chickpeas are cooked and mashed, yogurt and ice cream (both have been pasteurized), hard alcohol (tragically, its been distilled), and the biggest raw food trickster…almonds! I know what you’re thinking; most almonds are labeled as raw. However, since salmonella outbreaks in the early 2000s the USDA has mandated that all almonds be pasteurized at 185 degrees Fahrenheit.




Back to snacks like the “Rawmazing” onion rings that I just mowed through, they are coated in lightly processed nuts, which give them that extra crunch and the hint of oiliness reminiscent of their deep fried cousins.  However, unlike the deep fried foods you are getting the advantages of the cold pressed oils, proteins, and 100% of the nutrients in the snack food.  With the onion rings I ingested a million (not quite) omegas, vitamins A, D, and C and eschewed the waste, which turns into fat of the cooked oils and processed flour.  Where am I going with all of this? Guilt-free, fake junk food!  Huzzah! 

Now all I need is a raw beer that doesn't taste like Kombucha and I'm all in!



Want to learn more?
Check out this list from GreatList.com: Debunking Diets: Raw Pros and Cons
And Starting a Raw Food Diet from Thebestofrawfood.com



No comments:

Post a Comment